Thursday 22 October 2009

Mont Tauch Reserve de la Condamine (2007), Fitou ~ Sainsbury's £5.99 (reduced from £10.99)



Wine it seems has all sorts of effects. A scientific report I read recently, for example, suggested that drinking a glass of wine on a regular basis might increase life expectancy for up to five years. Actually what really got me interested was that it claimed that Sardinian wine – and a tragic shame this – in particular wine from the region where my wife hails from (Barbagia) is thought to contain a particular type of procyanidin that aids longevity more than in any other part of the world. In fact, people living in the region are twice as likely to reach 100 than in any other place on earth. By my own bacchanalian calculations I should live to be at least 109. Other effects of drinking red wine, however pleasant the bottle itself might be, are less welcome. I discovered one of these last week when I opened what turned out to be an excellently smooth Fitou. And what was this unwanted effect? Simple: I enjoyed a Russell Crowe comedy. To be fair I am a sucker for sentimental films about life changing trips abroad (for obvious reasons to those who know me), but even so the Reserve de la Condamine 2007 packed a good enough punch to make Ridley Scott’s A Good Year a real pleasure to watch. I blame the wine entirely.

This is really a little gem of a supermarket wine and great value for money when bought at Sainsbury’s discounted price of £5.99 (down from £10.99). The nose is hard to place but has a distinct prune-like scent to it, followed by blackberries once it hits the palate (and once you stop sniffing it and start drinking it). The finish is fairly short but it does give off, once again, that faint aroma of prunes, which is far more pleasant than it sounds. I found this a really well balanced wine that I would have no hesitation in recommending as an ideal quaffing wine. Beware, though. You may or may not wake up with a hangover but you might feel more than a little embarrassed by what it does to your taste in films.

No comments:

Post a Comment